[FFmpeg-devel] usage of Requires.private in *.pc files

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Mon Nov 10 18:33:35 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 16:59 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com> writes:
> >
> >> As usual, there is a great deal of confusion regarding the correct
> >> syntax of the month for pkg-config files.  I suggest we drop them
> >> entirely, and let distros create them in whatever way they please.
> >>
> >> I'm not joking.
> >
> > Actually I tried hard to avoid that reaction, but obviously failed. I
> > tried by asking very specific questions about the usage of the libs in
> > question within ffmpeg. Removing will not resolve the issue, I'd still
> > need to know the details in order to write the .pc files properly.
> >
> > Would you mind please reading my mail and actually answering it?
>
> If you link libavcodec with an external library, you'll need to have
> that external library.  Only the package maintainer for each distro
> will know what it happens to be called there, and whether it has been
> split in some obscure way.

Of course you need the external library if libavcodec was linked with
it, but I think the relevant question was whether there's any case where
you'd need the _headers_ for that external library when building against
such libavcodec (or possibly need CFLAGS specific to those libraries for
another reason). IOW to make sure the that a libavcodec linked with an
external library has no additional requirements except having
external_lib.so.1 present in /usr/lib (no headers required, no different
compiler or linker commands).