[FFmpeg-devel] usage of Requires.private in *.pc files

Måns Rullgård mans
Mon Nov 10 17:07:35 CET 2008

Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> When generating the .pc files, ffmpeg currently places the following
> libs into Requires.private: libraw1394, dirac, theora, vorbisenc.
>
> I think this is wrong. Please let me explain why.
>
> I've spoken to pkg-config upstream on irc about Libs.private
> vs. Requires.private. The topic was if package building against
> libavcodec would need to have the libtheora development packages (that
> include both headers and the .pc file) installed:

As usual, there is a great deal of confusion regarding the correct
syntax of the month for pkg-config files.  I suggest we drop them
entirely, and let distros create them in whatever way they please.

I'm not joking.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com