[FFmpeg-devel] donation for snow

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Nov 7 02:35:51 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 04:39:45PM -0800, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> >> Do you have any comparision data ? I would, too, be interested in having
> >> these comparisions, also knowing which jp2k encoder was used, test
> >> material, etc...
> >
> > I remember being linked to a paper on the topic a while back which had
> > the numbers I was using (though I don't remember them exactly).
> > However, I don't trust PSNR anyways, and if you wanted to do a real
> > comparison, I would say that a visual test would be the only one worth
> > bothering with.
>
> I understand, what puzzles me is that D-Cinema guys, who are know to be
> really picky about picture quality (choosing 12 bit XYZ is a thing),
> chose jp2k over other codecs, having done many extensive visual tests
> (they don't trust PSNR, Im not sure they care about it).

heres a comparission, i hope ill find more. The one i meant was older,
ill try to find some more latr ...

http://wftp3.itu.int/av-arch/jvt-site/2007_04_SanJose/JVT-W110.zip

a brief look found in the pdf (the xls are just crashing my openoffice)
"
  Results ? SVC against JPEG2000
  Similar PSNR for 1088p25
  Visual comparisons to be performed for each resolution
"

Based on this and that wavelet artifacts look more pleasing than
blocking artifacts i suspect but may be wrong that j2k beats h264 SVC for
intra coding.

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible. -- Voltaire