[FFmpeg-devel] donation for snow

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Fri Nov 7 01:27:26 CET 2008

> if you interpreted anything i said as making it snow policy to
> require devels to check their contributions against patents. Then you
> simply misunderstood me, i did not mean this.
I wasn't responding to you here at all; I know that the ffmpeg policy
is pretty much "completely ignore patents": that is, don't actively
even think about them when writing code.

> Besides, did you plan to contribute to snow in the absense of a "please avoid
> patents in the foobar profile" policy?

I was just saying in general, for me working on anything: I would
never, ever want to work on a Theora-like project that has
patent-o-phobia.

> Its not a either - or situation at all. Its just a "we lack developers
> actually working on it" be that "it" my suggestion, or something else.
> and be that wavelets, KLT, DCT, MP, fractals, ... or whatever

The first step, I think, is to demonstrate a simple intra-only format
that does something "creative" (like you suggested in your previous
posts) that makes it very significantly better than regular
JPEG2000-like coding, and better as well than H.264 spatial
prediction.  This would not be hard at all; the hard part would be the
actual transform, and the coding layer would be simple, since it would
just be an intra-only format.  Given I wrote Photon in a weekend, the
development cost of such a thing, once the transform was designed,
would be low.

Once this proof-of-concept is done and shows to be "better enough"
that it justifies making a format out of it, then it will be much
easier to get developers.

Dark Shikari