[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-user] Joining several files together

aviad rozenhek aviadr1
Mon Nov 3 11:53:44 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:23 AM, V?ctor Paesa <wzrlpy at arsystel.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> aviad rozenhek said:
> > Hi,
> > I want to use ffmpeg.exe to join several files together. for instance
> > taking a film which has been split into two parts, and joining them into
> > 1 part. I understand that for certain formats this is possible by simply
> > concating them together, but I am interested in an general solution
> > which would work for all formats, and with the ability to transcode etc.
> >
> > is this possible in ffmpeg.exe today?
>
> I'm afraid not.
>
> > if not, would it be possible
>
> Yes, by applying this patch:
>
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Interesting_Patches#File_concatenation_by_Wolfram_Gloger
>
> > and how can I help to develop this feature?
>
> By re-taking the discussion on this patch and making it acceptable for
> inclusion into FFmpeg.
>
> Regards,
> V?ctor

The patch shows an interesting and simple approach which I hadn't thought
about,
however it does look as though it is inherently unsafe in the sense that
there is no checking for compatibility between concatenated files ...
I initially thought of patching ffmpeg.c in order to achieve this
functionality, but that looks a bit hairy,

so my current though on the subject is to write for myself another
commandline tool (named ffjoin ?) that just concats files.
it will not have any of the advanced options of ffmpeg, will not support
transcoding.
it will support seeking and duration of input files, and will thus serve as
a simple cli for video editing

Let me know your opinion about this strategy
Aviad