[FFmpeg-devel] Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Nov 2 19:41:10 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 07:24:03PM +0100, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> The only packed B-Frame explanation I could find by googling:
> http://my.opera.com/1topstore/blog/1-what-is-mp4-i-have-heard-it-is-a-container-format-whats-that

Doesn't sound right to me.

> Is this really an error for avis?

Yes. To my knowledge this was only a workaround around the broken VfW
subsystem, not even AVI needs that wrong and broken packed bitstream
stuff.

> I think it would be nice to do one of the following:
> 1) Suppress this for avis (but I guess the codec knows nothing about
> the container, so this might be a bit difficult :))
> 2) Demote it to 'DEBUG' level so it's not that annoying.

Since those files (again AFAIK) do not play right that is a bad idea.

> 3) Make sure it only gets displayed once

Well, maybe, but given the file will not play right anyway, what is the
point.

> 4) Document it better :) (What does it mean / Why is it bad / What
>    can $JOEUSER do about it)

IMO just add "use avidemux to fix it and decrease file size for free in
the process".

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger