[FFmpeg-devel] Once again: Multithreaded H.264 decoding with ffmpeg?

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Fri May 30 22:26:21 CEST 2008

> Out of curiosity: Can somebody enlighten me about the relative benefits
> of yasm vs. inline assembler?  There is no need to post at length, web
> links would be great.

Main benefit of yasm:

* vastly more powerful macro system that makes it far easier to
generalize a small function to dozens of specific cases

This allows us to do the following:

* abstraction between MMX and SSE code; write a single function that does both
* automatic handling of macros that permute their arguments; see
x264's DCT functions
* automatic handling of 32-bit vs 64-bit abstraction

The amount by which this eases development work is unimaginable.  I
suspect Loren himself can comment on other benefits.

Dark Shikari