[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] av_set_string() semantics

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sat May 24 17:33:26 CEST 2008

On date Saturday 2008-05-24 15:00:40 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 12:22:19PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > On date Saturday 2008-05-24 12:00:27 +0200, Stefano Sabatini encoded:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Setting a value for an option with av_set_string() for a number or a
> > > flag option currently works like this:
> > >
> > > * A '+' or '-' at the beginning of the value string cause the
> > >   following value to be added to the *default* value for the option,
> >
> > Amendment: s/default/current/ here and below.
>
> fixed

And this fixes the second problem, with this now:
ffmpeg -bt -1-2-3-4-5-6-7+100

doesn't issues an out of range value error.

Also I continue to think that the logics that handle number and flags
values in av_set_string() should be kept separated (e.g. they should
be managed in two different blocks).

[...]
> > To be able to modify the current value of an option seems anyway a
> > good feature to keep, so we could use a new keyword "current", so that
> > for example:
> >
> > ffmpeg -foo current+1
>
> read my previous mail please, that about thinking about "use cases" where
> something might be usefull first

I'm not the maintaniner of anything, so I simply propose my ideas, then
it's duty of the maintainer to decide what to take and what to reject.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Funny & Fast Majestic Programmable EniGma