[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] An hash table container in libavutil?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri May 23 10:45:26 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 09:31:27AM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Friday 2008-05-23 02:41:30 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 01:27:41AM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> [...]
> > > (for what regards the
> > > av_set_string() problem, I'll try to look meaningwhile for a simpler
> > > solution).
> >
> > Dont bother, ive fixed the bug already.
>
> Sorry to bother again ;-), but your solution has still two problems,
> first av_get_double() when called the first time returns the value
> already contained in the context and not 0 as we expect, second the
> evaluation of the string has to be performed *globally*, or something
> like -1+2 => +1 will fail when evaluating the first -1 if for example
> -1 is out of range

i know

> (cleanest solution looks like to use ff_eval on the
> whole value string).

If we want to support abitrary expressions in av_set_string() then maybe but
do we want to support abitrary expressions in av_set_string() ?

You are just looking at solving something without really considering if its
worth the complexity. There are a lot of things one could do, for example
we could allow references to URLs in av_set_string() or whatever. The first
step is to ask, in what use cases any of that would be usefull, if there are
simpler alternatives and so on. You started somewhere at defining a hashtable
interface.

If you really think that XML is the answer, then you definitly missunderstood
the question -- Attila Kinali