[FFmpeg-devel] Option To Change Block Size

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun May 11 12:43:59 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 06:30:42PM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In experimenting with ZMBV, I have found that different block sizes
> produce better results for different types of videos. Right now,
> changing block size entails changing code and recompiling. Is there a
> command line option that would allow me to pass the block size into the
> encoder? I couldn't find anything and I thought I would ask before I
> added the option myself.

Why would we want an option to set the block size?
I mean the fact that different block sizes are better for each video means
the user can only use trial and error for each file. But that can be done
automatically faster and better ...

A 2 pass mode which selects the best block size for each group of pictures
(keyframe and the following frames) seems to be the obvious thing to do.

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact