[FFmpeg-devel] ZMBV Improved Motion Estimation

Kostya kostya.shishkov
Fri May 9 10:55:51 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:34:09PM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Kostya wrote:
> > It would be nice to test all game formats (especially Smacker) and
> > such things as MS Video 1. Maybe I'll torture my fresh x86 box tomorrow...
>
> I carried out some more tests tonight with 7 different codecs/file
> formats (and without transcoding audio if any). All samples are here,
> for simplicity:
>
>    http://multimedia.cx/flic/
>
> ZMBV doesn't perform better than Smacker, in case anyone was curious;
> not even close. :) At least, not our encoder.

That's because it's lossless unlike most of the other codecs.
Maybe we should add DXA encoding with ScummVM enhancements (but for more
sane container).

> Anyway, my method always showed improvement over the original method.
> And of course, Michael's method always showed improvement over mine.

I'll apply it soon then.
Thank both Michaels for improving :)

[...]