[FFmpeg-devel] Possible license violation: VIDEO CONVERT MASTER

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Mon Mar 31 17:55:21 CEST 2008

The installer does not indicate any license. The HELP ABOUT threatens
criminal penalties for unauthorized reproduction.

On the website http://www.video-convert-master.com/index.htm I did not
find any credit to ffmpeg, nor any mention of LGPL or GPL at all, nor,
needless to say, any hint of the modified sources.

After installation there is avcodec-51.dll, which in itself is enough to
make the distribution, at least of the ffmpeg parts, LGPL; and
xvidcore.dll, referenced by avcodec-51.dll, which is enough to make it
GPL. There is an avcore.dll which seems to be based on ffmpeg.c

I did not fully analyze the organization of the thing, but there does
not seem to be an exe that references that avcore.dll, so I guess they
use it by GetProcAddress, which some people consider a gray area for the
enforcement of (L)GPL *but* only if an independent library with the same
ABI exists, not the case here.

Could someone verify my findings, especially the non-findings?

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
E mailto:mbardiaux at mediaxim.be