[FFmpeg-devel] Experimental MSVC port

Mike Melanson mike
Wed Mar 26 22:42:18 CET 2008

Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 21:13 +0000, Ramiro Polla wrote:
>> Note: I don't like MSVC much more than gcc, but at least MSVC shows it still
>> optimizes very well, and doesn't follow the "inverse proportional relation
>
> Do you expect to get a noticeable performance benefit from using MSVC
> instead of gcc? icc shows a less than 10% performance gain compared to
> gcc in h264 decoding, and I'd expect the compiler to matter less in most
> other codecs.

Actually, I think I'm seeing some more significant performance gain in
icc vs gcc. I have a few data points collected via FATE. But it also
depends on how we're measuring performance.

If I could ever figure out how to make a graph using a computer, I'm
sure we could see some interesting trends between compilers.

--
	-Mike Melanson