[FFmpeg-devel] Searching for a ffmpeg BCLO (bastard chief legal officer)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Mar 5 17:23:52 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 05:10:36PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
[...]
> > As example diego should have passed the issue with saffran master encoder
> > to the SFLC after 2 weeks instead of talking with the guy for 6 month.
> > It was clear that that guy didnt take us serious, iam sure he would have
> > taken a "invitation" to court or just the threat of one more serious.
>
> My impression is that he is young, inexperienced, moderately competent,
> but by no means malicious.  Don't forget that he himself was the one who
> notified us of the project in the first place.  His desire to fix things
> up seemed genuine, albeit he constantly managed to bungle things up in
> creative new ways.
>
> Thus while he did get on my nerves, I was not under the impression that
> he was trying to take advantage of us and I would have found it unfair
> to send lawyers after him.

I think a mere threat about lawyers/court would have worked wonders in
relation to the timespan this took to be resolved ...

> > Gabu has in the past contacted violators and dealt with them in the
> > appropriate tone.
>
> lol

Its all a question of what one considers "appropriate" :)

[....]

Democracy is the form of government in which you can choose your dictator