[FFmpeg-devel] Fix mingw name of .lib files

Gonzalo Garramuño ggarra
Wed Mar 5 05:02:12 CET 2008

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 07:53:04PM -0300, Gonzalo Garramu?o wrote:
>> I find it funny you hate autotools, as the ffmpeg build smells very much
>> like a simpler (but functionally worse) copy of autotools.
>
> Missing what functionality exactly?

Right now, four big issues come to mind:

* Lack of out of source builds (extremely annoying when you need to
build ffmpeg for multiple platforms from SVN).  At least that was not
working last time I tried it a month or so ago.

* Proper mingw versioning. (this discussion).

* Many problems doing make clean with a dir that is already prebuilt for
a different platform -- mingw paths seem to screw it ( .depend failing,
etc ).  I am using bash wrappers to work around these now, doing my own
make clean first of the conflicting files.

* In the past, under mingw also, I also had runtime problems due to
ffmpeg linking against the version in /usr/local/lib instead of the one
that is being built locally (forcing me to actually have to remove the
one in /usr/local/lib first before building -- yuck).  This one was
really nasty (I spent a week tracking the issue), as the problem showed
as a crash at runtime, and not as a linking problem.  This also
prevented easily trying multiple versions of ffmpeg.

These are specific to ffmpeg.  No recent autotools project I've ever
compiled has ever shown that kind of issues.

--
Gonzalo Garramu?o
ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar

AMD4400 - ASUS48N-E