[FFmpeg-devel] Multimedia extensions run-time support check

Alexander Strange astrange
Wed Jun 25 04:51:40 CEST 2008

On Jun 24, 2008, at 9:46 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 07:24:52PM -0400, Alexander Strange wrote:

>>> dct-test.c was broken by
>>>   Author: benoit
>>>   Date: Tue Mar 25 15:34:27 2008
>>>   New Revision: 12580
>>>
>>>   Log:
>>>   Set mm_flags in dct-test to fix floating math.
>>>   Patch by Alexander Strange \astrange ithinksw com/
>>> and
>>>   Author: gpoirier
>>>   Date: Sun Mar 30 12:29:28 2008
>>>   New Revision: 12628
>>>
>>>   Log:
>>>   check mm_flags for each DCT and skips the ones that can't be run
>>>   patch by Alexander Strange %astrange A ithinksw P com%
>>>
>>> fft-test.c was broken by
>>>   Author: diego
>>>   Date: Tue Jun 24 11:00:58 2008
>>>   New Revision: 13940
>>>
>>>   Log:
>>>   Remove redundant mm_flags declaration, fixes the warning:
>>>   libavcodec.a(dsputil_ppc.o): warning: definition of `mm_flags'
>>> overriding common
>>>   fft-test.o: warning: common is here

>>> I do not belive mm_flags was ever intended to be accessed from
>>> outside
>>> the specific optimized code. it just happened by mistake as people
>>> tried
>>> to "fix" gcc warnings without bothering to fully understand the code
>>>
>>> mm_support() should be a #define 0 when optims are off.
>>
>> Is this OK?
>
> no, just use a variable that does not conflict with mm_flags. like a
> local
> var or a different name.
> Besides i do not think fft-test.c should be linked with dsputil*

Oops, there was a miscommunication.

patch 1 - rename mm_flags in dct-test
patch 2 - just remove mm_flags setting from fft-test

fft.c doesn't actually check mm_flags, so fft-test always ends up
using the current asm fft anyway. But it uses the C imdct, since
ff_imdct_calc is the C imdct instead of calling the asm function
pointer.

Testing only asm vs. ref sounds more useful to me, but I didn't write
it. I guess it's fallen behind the API; anyway, this keeps the current
behavior.