[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffmpeg.c refactoring

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Jun 11 18:30:27 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:26:40PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Ralf Terdic wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 June 2008 10:57:05 Luca Abeni wrote:
> >> Did you measure this overhead? I did...
> > From Java, the overhead is noticeable when comparing Runtime.exec() with the
> > JNI equivalent. We compiled ffmpeg to a JNI shared library before, so I, too,
> > know what I'm talking about.
>
> If Java is the problem, the solution is to eliminate Java.

Well, a more diplomatic way to put it: If Java is the problem, fix Java.
File a bug report or whatever they offer with Sun, I can seen no reason
at all why executing a system binary should be significantly slower with Java
than with C, so essentially this sounds to me like a case of "oh, we had
an intern implement this and not looked at the code ever since, nobody
cares anyway".

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger