[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffmpeg.c refactoring

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Jun 11 14:53:07 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:36:51PM +0200, Ralf Terdic wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 June 2008 09:16:59 Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > Yes it will be slightly slower, more levels of indirection, but it will
> > be a great step towards code reusability and flexibility.
>
> I think the hardest part is to persuade people of how important code
> reusability is

no, we know

> -- most of the time, they waste time by proposing you
> alternative solutions to your specific problem

yes, but you asked for a solution, if you didnt want to solve your problem
so dont ask.

>  instead of trying to
> understand the benefits of making their code reusable in other projects.

It is reuseable, and is reused by the proposed solution.
Also there are other people who might be interrested in the resulting fast
JNI forker shared lib. So even that could be reused assuming you allow it
to be reused ...

> I'm
> afraid that lack of large-scale thinking is one major problem of open source.
> But we're getting slightly off-topic.

Not at all
who do i have to contact to get my libphotoshop, libmsword, libwindows,
libdukenukem ?

Because hey i dont want to use fork() and exec() to call them, i prefer them
as threads in a JNI shared lib!
If i cannot get above, then frankly closed source isnt doing any "better".

Old school: Use the lowest level language in which you can solve the problem
            conveniently.
New school: Use the highest level language in which the latest supercomputer
            can solve the problem without the user falling asleep waiting.