[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] additinal desc_type for dtshd mpeg-ts demuxer

madshi dear
Mon Jun 9 18:46:36 CEST 2008

M?ns Rullg?rd schrieb:
 > The HDMV descriptor is at the program, not stream level.
 > When present, the extended Bluray stream type mappings
 > apply to all streams in the program, even if the individual
 > streams do not have registration descriptors.

Oh, I see. That makes sense.

 > Good luck finding "something else" that is open source.

xport:
http://www.w6rz.net/xport.zip

TsRemuxer:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125447

Now don't get me wrong. ffmpeg is the single best open
source project for my needs and I'm using it for decoding
audio with great success.

 > > Anyway, I know your opinion now and you know mine.
 > > So maybe we should leave it as that. I'm not using ffmpeg's
 > > splitters, anyway.
 > Then why do you care what we do?

I noticed that there was discussion about improving ffmpeg's
Blu-Ray related splitting support. Having written my own
splitter for TS and m2ts, I thought I'd just post what works
best for me in the hope that it might be useful in the ffmpeg
development. You replied to my post and we ended up in a
discussion. Apart from that I don't really care that much right
now what you do in the splitters. However, in the future I
might use a linux based media player where my own splitter
source code won't work. So I do care a little bit.

 > > My main interest is not in pleasing whining users. I'm
 > > interested in making my software work as good as possible
 > > even if the source may be "strange". I prefer software that
 > > just works and doesn't try to lecture the user of what he
 > > should do.
 > Would you also have your C compiler silently "fix" errors in
 > your code?

I think the comparison should be like this: A C compiler
should be *extremely* strict. But an interpreter which runs
at the end user's PC should be as forgiving as possible.

In the same way an application which is used to create new
video/audio files should be extremely strict. But an application
which plays existing audio/video files on an end user's PC
should be much more forgiving.

But I don't want to start arguing again. The solution you
described above with the "HDMV descriptor at the program
level" should work for 99.99% of all content out there.

Regards, madshi.