[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] additinal desc_type for dtshd mpeg-ts demuxer

Måns Rullgård mans
Mon Jun 9 16:36:51 CEST 2008

madshi wrote:
>> Whatever it is, it specifies a number of additions to
>> standard MPEG-TS, indicated by the HDMV registration
>> descriptor.
>
> Nope, only some of the additions are marked by "HDMV".
> E.g. TrueHD tracks have an "AC-3" registration descriptor
> and no "HDMV". So when using your logic ffmpeg would
> not be able to handle Blu-Ray TrueHD tracks properly.

Stop nit-picking, please.  Had you bothered to read any
of my previous mails, you'd have realised that I *any*
registration descriptor sufficient to identify a stream
should be used, not only HDMV.  This is not the problem

The problem is with when a stream has a stream type
in the private range, and there is *no* applicable
registration descriptor present.  When this is the
case, we *cannot* know what it is, and we should not
be trying to guess it.

>> This means that when no registration descriptor
>> is present, only the standard stream types should
>> be recognised.
>
> Yeah. But your definition of "standard stream types"
> is different compared to mine. You don't include
> Blu-Ray stream types. I do.

When talking about MPEG-TS, "the standard" refers to
ISO 13818-1, aka ITU-T H.222.0.  The Bluray specification
contains additions to the standard, some of them most
likely in conflict with other add-on specifications.

>> > We have different philosophies, obviously...
>> Yes, where I'm trying to bring some order, you
>> inflict anarchy.
>
> I'm not interested in politics. I'm only interested in
> making things work. While it seems to me that you are
> more interested in politics then in making ffmpeg
> support the content which is out there.

I'm not talking about politics.  I'm talking about giving
people at least some incentive to create valid streams.
If invalid streams don't play, they'll have no choice but
to create valid ones.  In the long run, this makes life
much easier for everybody involved.

The difference is that you try to please all the whining
users, while I send them to the firing squad.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com