[FFmpeg-devel] Help required for testing ALAC encoder

Justin Ruggles justinruggles
Mon Jun 9 04:40:22 CEST 2008

Hi,

Mike Melanson wrote:
> Jai Menon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The ALAC encoder being written as part of GSoC 2008 is steadily progressing
>> and it would be very helpful to have people who might have access to the
>> latest iTunes/Quicktime or an iPod to help with testing.
>
> No problem. I can help with all 3. Is the code ready for testing now?

Testing can definitely start.  The files which are generated should be
valid ALAC and decode losslessly.  Compression is not good yet since no
prediction is used, only entropy coding.

Since seeing Baptiste's earlier email, I've been testing using wine.  I
was able to get Quicktime 7.1.6.200 installed, and it played the files
correctly.  I also installed iTunes (which broke my Quicktime install)
and it also played the files correctly.  I'm guessing that it installed
a different version of Quicktime since the standalone player stopped
working.

There is a known issue with the uncompressed mode, but I expect Jai will
fix it soon.

It would be great to have as much testing done as possible.  Right now
it should be relatively stable since the current settings are matched to
those in iTunes-generated samples.  When more experimenting is done,
things might get less predictable.

-Justin