[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Eliminate -re and make -rate_emu set by AVOption

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jul 14 13:38:45 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:32:01AM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> currently ffmpeg -re -i ... doesn't work with only audio files, which
> makes for example tricky to stream with RTP audio streams.
>
> This is because rate_emu is currently set in opt_input() only for
> video streams, and is ignored if there is only an audio stream to
> transcode (for example if you're using -vn).
>
> My solution is to make -rate_emu settable through AVOption options
> using rate_emu, then remove the -re option.
>
> This alone doesn't fix the problems for audio-only multimedia streams
> streaming, there are still timestamp issues to be addressed.
>
> I'm not sure this is the best solution, so I'm posting it here to
> foster ideas and suggestions.

iam fine with the patch IF it works and has been tested with at least
one case where -re was needed in the past.

While the State exists there can be no freedom; when there is freedom there
will be no State. -- Vladimir Lenin