[FFmpeg-devel] Searching for a ffmpeg BCLO (bastard chief legal officer)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jan 31 15:44:36 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:42:33AM +0100, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> 2008/1/25, Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx>:
> > Compn wrote:

> > > mplayers' list of shame has companies on there for months (some even
> > > years). this is not a deterrent or effective way to defeat them.
> > > http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html
> > >
> > > but if you wish to try, ffmpeg homepage is in svn, just checkout a copy
> > > and send a patch.
> > > http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg.org/trunk/
> >
> > Here's a crazy idea: Do you think it would get their attention to post
> > downloadable copies of their disassembled binaries in order to
> > flagrantly violate their so-called EULAs (which explicitly prohibit
> > disassembly)?
> >
> > Probably not a big deal. But I have the webspace for it. :)
>
> Maybe worth to look and check....
>
> http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
>
> I've not found sources, through some fast overview...

What makes you think it uses ffmpeg? If you have solid evidence that it does
and violate the (L)GPL then open an issue on our issue tracker!

Our BCLO (as soon as we have one) will then contact them and if they dont
react or react inadequatly pass it on to the Software Freedom Law Center.
(at least thats the idea ...)

PS: If noone volunteers for the BCLO position within the next 48h then ill
ask gabuchino if he wants to do it.

Asymptotically faster algorithms should always be preferred if you have
asymptotical amounts of data