[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Runtime-inited versus Hardcoded tables.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Thu Jan 31 13:23:43 CET 2008

Hello,
On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:54:16PM +0100, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> But I think that files like rv34vlc.h,indeo3data.h are already quite
> too much if there exists simple code to generate them at runtime I
> would prefer rather this version.

After compression at least the indeo ones are less than 20 kB as well
though.
Nevertheless, if they are really big and easy to create, IMO they should
not just be created at runtime but be part of the codec context - at
least I consider the usual case that only one codec is open at a time,
and big tables should not use up memory when the codec is no longer
used, just because it has been used once.
Though if there are big tables and they can be easily calculated at
runtime, there is quite a probability that those tables could be made
smaller without much of a speed loss.

> The scenario is simple - you release binary/source package which is
> then downloaded by thousands of user - which spends time/money waiting
> for download :)

Even if we were pessimistic and assumed 20 codecs with as huge tables as
indeo3, that would be about 400 kB of data to transfer. Even for a modem
user that is not that much of a deal - at least that is what I think,
and why I find this a bit constructed.