[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] replace some static with asm_visibility or?so

Måns Rullgård mans
Wed Jan 30 21:10:21 CET 2008

Balatoni Denes <dbalatoni at interware.hu> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks Michael, for addressing my points in detail.
>
> Wednesday 30 January 2008 13:13-kor Michael Niedermayer ezt ?rta:
>> There are 2 problems ...
>> 1. If he knew the amount of time at the begin chances are he wouldnt even
>>    start fixing anything.
>
> This does lead to another (so far implicit) point. I don't see why a
> contribution that is an independent module (not touching any other
> code significantly), and is an improvement to ffmpeg is only
> acceptable when it is "perfect". Imho such contributions could be
> comitted to svn, as they don't lead to any regression - at least not
> that I can see now - but an improvement, even though perhaps not as
> big an improvement as if the contribution was in a perfect

Then we end up with rubbish like the Vorbis encoder.

> Patches that would fit my description would be for example Ian
> Caulfield's MLP decoder, some of Christophe Gisquet's optimizations,
> Siarhei Siamashka's arm idct optimizations (this also shows a double
> standard, because Mans - who has SVN commit rights - was free to
> commit suboptimal code, that has never been accepted from anybody
> without SVN commit rights - I must note however, that IMO it's good
> that Mans' code was made available early in SVN) or even my sparc
> idct optimizations - which eventually were comitted, but none of the
> others I have mentioned have been up to now (for quite some time).

The possible optimisations to the ARM IDCT are minor compared to the
improvement over the plain C version, and the code in SVN is clean.
I'm not saying it shouldn't be improved, of course.  In fact, I might
just revisit those patches, which I'd all but forgotten about.  If
submissions go ignored for a long time, a friendly reminder is often
useful to get things moving again.  It's easy to forget about things
you were too busy to look at in detail at the time they were posted.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com