[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] replace some static with asm_visibility or so

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jan 28 19:49:20 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 05:59:29PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
> On 28/01/2008, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 03:22:53PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > If the atmosphere of the lists is improved such that people feel more
> > > comfortable expressing their opinions on matters here then this won't
> > > be a problem and it makes sense to do this as we are all on these
> > > lists and then abstaining from discussion on the list could be
> > > considered acceptable.
> >
> > Is the "atmosphere" on IRC really better? Last time i were there i remember
> > rich and others kicking people off the channel for little if anything.
> > last being years ago and maybe not even exactly the last time but i
> > remember it wasnt exactly rare and the tone on IRC was not better at all
> > than on the list
>
> It's actually quite amicable these days. We have a #ffmpeg-devel as
> well as #ffmpeg now so those who don't want to see user noise don't
> have to. As I recall Rich used to do most of his flaming in
> #mplayerdev but maybe I'm mistaken. #mplayerdev is quite dead these
> days and regardless, Rich seems to have turned a leaf. :)

Maybe it was #mplayerdev where i saw him kicking people, its too long
ago to remember exactly

> [...]
>
> > > We're adults,
> > > not children, we don't need to bitch back and forth to resolve
> > > something.
> >
> > Well, why does this somehow not match my memory of the behavior of some
> > people here ...
>
> That kind of comment pokes the embers and can makes things worse. I
> made that statement in an attempt to get through to people that we
> _are_ adults regardless of what discussions of happened and gone
> astray in the past. Just because we're volunteers (or otherwise)
> doesn't mean we should devolve into petty, non-productive squabbles
> all the time. We all want the same thing - to make FFmpeg awesomer. :)

I see a boring and gray future for the ffmpeg project. How long until
we reply like:
"Sir, iam very sorry and iam deeply embarrased but i think we will have
 to remove this hidden backdoor before we commit your patch. But dont fear
 i can assure you that no work on your part will be needed. We will do
 whatever is needed to correct that part which we feel is problematic to
 us."
Somehow i think we are getting old, developemnt will cease and ffmpeg will
die or turn into a unmaintainable bloated mess maintained by ......
who are too affraid to say what they think and thus let bad patches and
commits into svn. Feeling uncomfortable to voice their concerns ...

I much prefer if someone tells me iam a retard who cant code while pointing
at a serious bug or design issue. Than having such issue stay unnoticed ...

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber. -- Plato