[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] replace some static with asm_visibility or so

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jan 27 22:37:10 CET 2008

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 10:54:43PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 21:22 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 09:18:57PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > > I see no evidence for any of those claims ("months of work", "more
> > > fragile" or "harder to maintain").
>
> ... and you still gave no reason to believe that even one of your claims
> would have been justified.

to proof the time, it needs to implement it, one would have to implement it.
As noone will implement your idea (not even you) one can only speculate
how long it would have taken.

the harder to maintain and more fragile is obvious from the need of
additional code which would not be needed otherwies (special cases for
gcc 2.95/gcc 3, vissibility attributes, different PIC/no PIC flags for
some files, ...)

> > i see reimar posted a patch solving the issue for libavcodec and libavutil
> > and iam sure libswscale and libpostproc soon as well
>
> What he posted doesn't actually solve anything yet. It just makes it
> easier to add hacks that make variables global (unnecessarily, to hack
> around the problems triggered by MANGLE) in the future.
>
> > where is your simple, clean, with all gcc versions working, not fragile
> > little work, easy to maintain, not slower code at all patch?
>
> I wouldn't call the hack proposed by Reimar "clean" in any sense.

on its own no, compared to what you propose it is clean

> I've already posted a patch that makes the cabac.h asm cleaner, more
> maintainable, no more fragile and no slower (possibly slightly faster).

you have posted many patches breaking compilation with old gcc versions

> Since I've already tested that and shown it to work I see little reason

you have posted some patches which "work" for your definition of "work"
but not for the definition used by anyone else
other people like portable code which works with more than latest gcc

Why not whip the teacher when the pupil misbehaves? -- Diogenes of Sinope