[FFmpeg-devel] Searching for a ffmpeg BCLO (bastard chief legal officer)

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri Jan 25 14:19:19 CET 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 02:05:05PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> The number of LGPL and GPL license violations increases, we already have 6
> on roundup.
> I first thought ill try to contact them but i guess it would be more
> efficient if someone else could do that and i could concentrate on
> developing which id also prefer :)
>
> So what are the requirements for the BCLO:
> * Short temper (not the kind type of guy who nicely talks with them for
>   3 month)
> * legal knowlegde (you dont have to be a lawyer but you should know
>   the (L)GPL and have an approximate idea of copyright law)
> * ability to read C code, use strings and grep
> * ability to use traceroute and the others to find the ISP, domain name
>   provider, ... of a company
>
> Things which would be nice
> * some good contacts to online sites/local radio/newspapers which might
>   be interrested in publishing an article about such copyright violation
> * actually being a lawyer

Try the Software Freedom Law Center:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/

busybox is using their services and seem to be quite happy with the way
it goes, see "License enforcement" on

http://www.busybox.net/license.html

Diego