[FFmpeg-devel] Filtering clueless-user spam from the lists

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Jan 23 16:16:12 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 01:06:57PM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Il Wednesday 23 January 2008 12:59:49 Robert Swain ha scritto:
>
> > > IMO add discarding outlook users. Using outlook already indicates
> > > a *proven* attitude to post messages in the wrong way.
> > > Many other mail clients don't require admin permissions to
> > > install and run, so there's no excuse to post here using outlook.
> >
> > I disagree, people should be able to use whatever client they like,
> > as long as the client doesn't really mess up the e-mails. If said
> > client consistently breaks threading and is not configurable to not
> > break threading or something like that, then maybe that's fair.
> > Excluding mails from a client because of some supposed mindset of
> > its users seems like unreasonable discrimination to me. I don't
> > think it's our place to force people to not use particular software
> > if the software can be used properly. This is not a personal
> > attack, just an attack on the idea. :)
> >
> > Rob
>
> yet facts prove otherwise: just read the ML and the headers
> of all broken mails. You won't be surprised to see outlook
> in every user-agent header.

uhm thats a scary form of reasoning you use here ...

its like saying, look at all cancer patients, they all came in contact
with dihydrogen monoxid before getting cancer, or
look at acid rain, it contains hydroxylic acid
then then suggest to ban these chemmicals

the fallacy of your reasoning is
All bad ones contain X thus X is bad and should be banned

correct would be
how often does X do bad things? or
how many mails from outlook are broken and how many not?

it is not once nor twice but times without number that the same ideas make
their appearance in the world. -- Aristotle