[FFmpeg-devel] patch for DCA "floating point output" option

Måns Rullgård mans
Sat Jan 19 17:01:42 CET 2008

madshi <dear at madshi.net> writes:

> M?ns Rullg?rd schrieb:
>> madshi <dear at madshi.net> writes:

>>> It was not my idea. The same constant is already used by the
>>> MLP/TrueHD decoder. I thought that it doesn't make sense to
>>> use a different name for every decoder...
>>>
>>> Besides, I don't think that the name is useless. Currently the decoders
>>> all output "short" samples (shorter than they should be). "non short"
>>> simply means that the decoders stop shorten the audio samples.
>>>

>> The name is equally non-descriptive for any decoder.  If the output is
>> not 'short', then what is it?
>>

> Well, the point of the constant is to allow the decoder to output
> whatever sample format suits best. It may be floating point or
> 24 bit integer or even the usual 16 bit integer. Of course the
> decoder must set the "sample_fmt" field to the correct value.
> My patch does that. The MLP/TrueHD decoder does that, too.

I figured as much, but the name doesn't convey that very well.
Perhaps something like "native" would be better than "nonshort".

> Personally, I want every decoder to output the most ideal
> format and bitdepth for the audio track. And this is not the
> same for every decoder. So the "non short" flag just tells the
> decoder to output what it likes best.

I agree.  This is how video is handled.  To do this for audio, we'd
first need a generic way of converting between different sample
formats.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com