[FFmpeg-devel] New 'libav-users' mailing list

Kyle Mallory kyle.mallory
Thu Jan 17 16:35:14 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 15:13 +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Gabriel Fort? a ?crit :
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:12:41PM -0700, Kyle Mallory wrote:
> >> So, I'm asking the question to you all, the ffmpeg maintainers: Could we
> >> please have a new mailing list created, dedicated to people like me, who
> >> love what ffmpeg offers, but aren't really interested in using it as a
> >> command-line tool?  Pretty please?
> >
> > while not a ffmpeg maintainer, I definitely say +1 too !
> >
> Against. Reason: it is often extrememly useful to rehearse with the CLI
> what you want to implement as code. But ffmpeg commands would be
> off-topic on that list!

I disagree.  Yes, topics asking how to use ffmpeg would be off-topic,
but not topics which compared libav* code results with ffmpeg results.
There is a clear distinction between users asking how to use ffmpeg, and
those who already know how to use it, and subsequently are using it as a
benchmark/validation tool in their libav* coding.

I would hope that something along the lines below would be appropriate
for the new list:

> I'm using libavcodec for encoding MPEG4 video.  If I use the following
> ffmpeg command line, 'ffmpeg { blah blah}' I get great results.
>
> But when using livavcodec, setting up the AVCodecContext as follows:
>
> { appropriate code example }
>
> The results look like crap.
>
> What am I missing?

Kyle