[FFmpeg-devel] New 'libav-users' mailing list

Kyle Mallory kyle.mallory
Wed Jan 16 06:12:41 CET 2008

Michael N. suggested that I post to this board, requesting a new mailing
list for the users (ie, developers using) the ffmpeg libraries.

As an application developer using the libav* libraries, I have little or
no interest in the command line usage of ffmpeg or its related
utilities.  Posting support requests to ffmpeg-devel is often met with a
recommendation to post to ffmpeg-user.  When posted to ffmpeg-user,
amongst the plethora of requests about command-line usage, and compiling
for various platforms, our posts are often overlooked by a dozen or two
other posts.  When searching the archives, finding relevant information
becomes increasingly difficult.   Us libav* users are the lonely bastard
children, with no real place to call home...

So, I'm asking the question to you all, the ffmpeg maintainers: Could we
please have a new mailing list created, dedicated to people like me, who
love what ffmpeg offers, but aren't really interested in using it as a
command-line tool?  Pretty please?

Thanks,
Kyle Mallory

PS:  This topic of a new list has come up several times before on
ffmpeg-user, with much interest in favor of separating the lists.

Some comments from others, from previous threads:

"Looks like i need one too, the archive is too big to search through the
entire stuff"

"I agree 100% percent. We need a list for users of libav* libraries..."

"+1"

"Is there any mailing list about libavcodec and libavformat beside this
one? 99.9% of the posts here are about the ffmpeg program... maybe nobody actually
sees any of the relevant messages in the middle of all those
ffmpeg-related ones..."

"i am curious about libavcodec list as well. is this the right place to ask
questions about libavcodec & libavformat?"

"I also like the idea of two distinct ... mailing lists."