[FFmpeg-devel] switching to git - eventually?

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Sat Jan 12 01:55:44 CET 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 00:05 +0100, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>
> > Aurelien Jacobs <aurel at gnuage.org> writes:
> > > I know about this. But That's not very useful, unless you can
> > > tell me how to clone/pull/fetch/diff/bissect/commit/push the
> > > ffmpeg repo (including libswscale) in a single git command.
> > > I consider git gives us lots of improvements over svn, but
> > > if I need to repeat each command twice, this is much less
> > > appealing. That's the only reason why I don't already use
> > > git for ffmpeg.

You can make a script which updates both repositories at once. Most
other commands do not need to be repeated for the swscale repo unless
you're actually working on changes to it or bisecting some quite old
stuff.

> > If/when we switch, libswscale will be integrated into the FFmpeg repo
> > properly.
>
> Sure. That why I would like to see the switch happens rather sooner than
> later.
> And I don't really see the point about putting efforts in supporting
> a git-svn half usable repository.

I think it would be better to get more people using git-svn before
switching to git as the _only_ possible system. Using git-svn is also
better than using the svn client even while the swscale repository is
separate (you can make and edit (multiple) local commits before sending
them, have history available locally and can query it better than with
svn).