[FFmpeg-devel] Question on libbrokenos support

Rich Felker dalias
Tue Jan 8 18:31:08 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 01:34:23PM -0300, Gonzalo Garramu?o wrote:
> Luca Abeni wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > So, libbrokenos cannot provide such headers, because it would
> > prevent the inclusion of the headers provided by the OS,
> > breaking the compilation... How can the missing definitions
> > be provided? I see two possibilities:
> > 1) provide the header in libbrokenos, with a "#include_next ..."
> > at the beginning (protected by "#if HAVE_...") to include the
> > header provided by the OS
>
> Go with 1).  2) has the potential to grow and became hard to manage.
> Also it kind of beats the purpose of having libbrokenos be the lib to
> handle OS stuff if you have to include one of its internal header files.

Indeed. libbrokenos is for _broken_ things. I see no point in trying
to keep it "portable" by avoiding gccisms. Broken systems need only be
supported by one compiler, whichever compiler makes it the easiest to
get them working. If someone wants support for other hypothetical
compilers they should first fix their broken os to be
standards-conformant and then it will work automatically and
libbrokenos can be removed.

Rich