[FFmpeg-devel] switching to git - eventually?

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Mon Jan 7 00:47:03 CET 2008

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> writes:
>
> > I noticed somebody made a split repo for libswscale and right now
> > git supports subprojects (even if I'd rather stitch together the
> > libswscale inside ffmpeg in a more definite way).
> >
> > What is preventing us to switch to git as main repo?
>
> A few different things:
>
> - First of all, we must agree to the switch.  So far, it's mainly you
>   and Reimar (?) who are pushing for it.

I'm also pushing for any good dVCS.
(I was originaly pushing Mercurial, but it seems majority prefered git,
and I'm fine with it)

> - We must be reasonably confident developers know how to use git, or
>   there will be trouble.

Something like MPlayer's svn-howto.txt but for git, would sure be useful.

> - The repos need to be converted and verified.  Because of the
>   libswscale mess, this is less trivial than it might seem.

Sure.

> - The server needs to be configured to allow git write access in a
>   secure fashion.  With the frequency of breakin attempts, giving all
>   devs normal shell accounts is undesirable, so something else must be
>   devised.

Giving all users an ssh account with a restricted shell (which only
allows running git) shouldn't be a problem, security-wise.
And it should be pretty easy to setup. I don't know git well enough,
but Mercurial comes with such a specific restricted shell. It seems
gitosis allows something similar but with only one user account.

Aurel