[FFmpeg-devel] switching to git - eventually?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Jan 6 20:14:25 CET 2008

Hello,
On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 12:40:21PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> writes:
>
> > I noticed somebody made a split repo for libswscale and right now git
> > supports subprojects (even if I'd rather stitch together the libswscale
> > inside ffmpeg in a more definite way).
> >
> > What is preventing us to switch to git as main repo?
>
> A few different things:
>
> - First of all, we must agree to the switch.  So far, it's mainly you
>   and Reimar (?) who are pushing for it.

Actually I am mostly "pushing" for a more convenient way to allow the
developers already using git to publish their work in progress etc.
Currently that involves creating your own repository (assuming you have
somewhere to publish it) and most likely uploading all the FFmpeg
changes, not just those you made yourself, which even via "broadband" is
not exactly fast. Also it is only one developer's git tree, not all of
us using git.
I am perfectly fine in leaving the "main" tree in SVN, even it it makes
merging etc. a bit more of an effort.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger