[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] drop libamr support

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Jan 4 21:27:41 CET 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:21:24PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> I've been thinking about libamr again while handling the SaffronEncoder
> and I am thinking more and more that we should drop libamr support
> outright.
>
> [Reminder: libamr is copyrighted without any kind of license grant.   As
> a consequence it is non-free and unredistributable.]
>
> Whatever binaries are created with libamr support are unredistributable.
> Nonetheless many are created and redistributed and I fear that most
> people are not doing this on purpose but are blissfully unaware of the
> consequences.

I think most people are well aware of the lack of consequence and thus
give a damn.

> Another point is that while there is a convenient way to hook up libamr
> in FFmpeg the incentive to implement a native replacement will be low.

thats a better argument, remove it then

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus