[FFmpeg-devel] [flamefest-start] A little something on MMX/SSE intrinsics

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Fri Feb 29 09:52:41 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 07:35:58AM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >> gcc isn't predictable even at managing asm blocks as we could experience
> >> with the register constrained architectures... (yes x86 again)
> >
> > As i said at some other point in the thread i prefer a compilation failure
> > which i can fix over a silent pessimization of code i do not even know
> > about.
> >

> That is good till you don't care if the compilation failure happens
> because of PIC or other features you may not deem worth attention (see
> the issue with flac routines)

Since this is the case of a compiler failing at even more than just
optimization it does not seem like a good argument to let the compiler
do even more things it can mess up...
Btw. ICC manages to fail on those even without pic, at least 10.1.008.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger