[FFmpeg-devel] Matroska demuxer gives presentation order in dts

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Wed Feb 27 20:54:58 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 18:40 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 01:06:55PM +0000, elupus wrote:
> > I tried to talk michael into not entering dts values at all if demuxer
> > couldn't generate them, but got no interest in that.
>
> DTS are not optional, they are needed for remuxing to a different container.
> Thus not setting them at all is not a solution.

But they're not needed for other uses. So it's useful if there is a way
to generate them if needed, but it's not necessary for every demuxer
stream to have DTS. It can also be useful to know what timestamp (or
other) information the container really specifies, and what is a guess
filled in by lavf (especially if the guess can be unreliable).