[FFmpeg-devel] [flamefest-start] A little something on MMX/SSE intrinsics

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Feb 27 19:20:35 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 05:42:58PM +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Reimar D?ffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >  yet another case of someone relearning "intrinsics are still a mess and
> >  compilers still much too stupid" ;-) :
> >  http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=188#body
> >
> >  Let's see if we can make today the flame-heaviest day in FFmpeg history
> >  :-)
>
> Nice read.
>
> I'd just like to add that there is already architecture in FFmpeg that
> is entirely optimized on intrinsics - AltiVect. There were few
> fundamental problems with it and I'm not sure if they have been
> successfully solved. These include things like generating code that
> picks up processor SIMD dialect at runtime.

You just found us a new SOC qualification task
rewrite intrinsics to proper asm()

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch