[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] possible API for opening external demuxer references

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Feb 27 19:07:26 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 02:38:08PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> currently just a flag probably is good enough, but in case someone is
> interested in taking things further (maybe even as a way to implement
> general playlist support in lavf, including rules like "internet
> playlists can only reference internet files and vice versa"?) here is
> a first idea of a possible API.
> Probably it makes little sense without actually implementing things to
> actually see how suitable it is, but since I already got that far...

IMHO the demuxer should "return" the urls to the calling application
and not mess with them any further.
That is have a seperate AVStream with CODEC_ID_REFERENCE/URL/whatever
and put the urls in extradata.

The application could check exradata after read_header() and act
on them as needed. That is for example opening seperate streams, demuxers
decoders (some of which may be binary only).

This would work very nice with MPEG*-ES streams as well as playlists.
It would also allow simple remuxing which maintains these references.
Which is something which would not work at all with this callback or
direct open() calls.

Asymptotically faster algorithms should always be preferred if you have
asymptotical amounts of data