[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] drop support for using libav* compiled with mingw/cygwin in msvc

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Feb 25 21:29:50 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 02:39:23PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 02:30:37PM -0500, Jeff Downs wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Anyway, my vote is to revert it. Theres no advantage in this commit and
> > > it breaks what was supported and also documented as such in the docs.
> >
> > I would rather see MSVC compatibility maintained as well.
> >
> > Would something like this accomplish the original intent?
> >
> > #define LIBAVUTIL_MAJOR 49
> > #define LIBAVUTIL_MINOR 6
> > #define LIBAVUTIL_PATCH 0
> > #define LIBAVUTIL_VERSION LIBAVUTIL_MAJOR ##.## \
> >                           LIBAVUTIL_MINOR ##.## \
> >                           LIBAVUTIL_PATCH
>
> May I ask WTF is the use of having a #define with value 49.6.0 or the
> like? I assume it's for putting in strings but putting %d in the
> format strings and deriving the value numerically at runtime would be
> cleaner, albeit a little more work.. Or is there a reason this is
> frowned upon?

Its used for
#define LIBAVCODEC_IDENT        "Lavc" AV_STRINGIFY(LIBAVCODEC_VERSION)
using snprintf() would make the code bigger.

My oppinion is still that the original was best, it was claimed that people
broke versions often but noone managed to point to more than a single
case where that happened and it was fixed quickly ...
If we really must use some tricks to force the versions to be equal
jeff downs solution looks like the best so far.
But i still prefer to just revert ...

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin