[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] drop support for using libav* compiled with mingw/cygwin in msvc

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Mon Feb 25 20:29:18 CET 2008

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> Hi
>
> r12154 has as it seems broken the in the past supported use of
> mingw/cygwin compiled libav* in msvc. Also the change has increased
> code complexity and size. I was already mildly against this change
> before it was commited though i left it to mans to decide. Now as it
> breaks use of libav* under msvc iam more strongly against it ...
>
> Anyway, my vote is to revert it. Theres no advantage in this commit
> and it breaks what was supported and also documented as such in the
> docs.

I'm not in favor of dropping msvc support for no good reason (but I
think it wasn't the goal of r12154 either).
But I would like to keep something similar to current code (ie.
avoid duplicating version number).
And there's no reason we can't have both. So I vote for improving
current code to make msvc happy without duplicating version number.

The patch proposed in this thread uses something like this:

#define LIBAVCODEC_VERSION_MAJOR  51
#define LIBAVCODEC_VERSION_MINOR  50
#define LIBAVCODEC_VERSION_MICRO   1

This solution adds one more advantage: no one will confuse minor
and micro anymore.
Would this be an acceptable compromise ?

Aurel