[FFmpeg-devel] [patch] do not run ldconfig for DESTDIR installs

İsmail Dönmez ismail
Sat Feb 16 10:50:20 CET 2008

On Feb 16, 2008 11:38 AM, Reimar D?ffinger <
Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> Hello,
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 10:59:50AM +0200, ?smail D?nmez wrote:
> > On Feb 16, 2008 4:24 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier.adi at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > running ldconfig when not installing into system paths can waste
> > > significant cpu and i/o time.  DESTDIR is generally used in two
> > > scenarios:
> > >  - package maintainers installing into an empty tree for packaging
> > >  - cross-compilers installing into a development tree
> > > in neither of these scenarios does running ldconfig make sense nor is
> > > it useful.  the paths the libraries get installed into are rarely (ive
> > > never heard of a case) declared in the ldso's configuration file, so
> > > running ldconfig doesnt actually accomplish the intended goal: getting
> > > the newly installed ffmpeg libs into the cache and symlinks created.
> > >

> > Agreed, please apply the patch.
>
> There are at least two paths where it makes sense to run: /usr/local and
> /usr. Whereas for the other cases I usually encounter building is done
> as ordinary user and thus ldconfig can not run.
> I guess (not sure though) cross-compilation already is a flag, so that
> could
> be used for this, which IMO would be preferable.
> Building packages is a bit different thing, but IMHO the solution would
> be not to run as root ;-)

Well the main point is if DESTDIR is set it means you are installing into a
temporary location anyway, so no need to run ldconfig for that.

Regards,
ismail