[FFmpeg-devel] Question about -fPIC usage for some files

Thorsten Jordan tjordan
Fri Feb 8 14:10:53 CET 2008

Michael Niedermayer schrieb:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:43:48AM +0100, Thorsten Jordan wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
> Just curious, how much ram do the 5 processes eat with static libav*?
> and shared without -fPIC?
i never tried with static libav*, however with shared libav* _without_
-fPIC there is 236mb free (w/o buffers/cache), with -fPIC (except the 3
files) its 250mb free. ffmpeg of january 8th 2008 was 247mb free with -fPIC.

>> My question is if these results are realistic, can .so libs be built in
>> a way so only parts of it (some .o's) don't use -fPIC and the rest uses
>> it, and sharing of these parts still work? It seems so, but i'd like to
>> be sure on this and here are certainly some experts around :-)
> yes
thanks!

what about the idea of possible extension of the Makefile(s) for extra
flags of libavcodec/i386/* ?

--
Greetings, Thorsten