[FFmpeg-devel] New project using ffmpeg

Diego Biurrun diego
Wed Feb 6 00:54:23 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:58:23AM +0000, Cezary Falba wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2008, at 08:37, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 04:38:47PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>>
>>> In one of my mails I asked you whether you used FFmpeg in GPL mode or
>>> not.  You never answered my question.  I looked myself, this is the
>>> output of the Windows version you use:
>>>
>>> FFmpeg version SVN-r8797, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
>>>  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-swscaler
>>> --enable-pthreads --enable-liba52 --enable-avisynth --enable-libdts
>>> --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame
>>> --enable-libnut --enable-libogg --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis
>>> --enable-x264 --enable-xvid --enable-amr_nb
>>> --enable-amr_wb --cpu=i686 --enable-memalign-hack --extra-ldflags=-static
>>>
>>> So you are using it in GPL mode, but what is more important is that you
>>> also compile with libamr support, which is non-free and not
>>> redistributable.  As long as you keep distributing this binary you are
>>> violating the copyright of 3GPP.
>>>
>>> I'm going to make you a numbered list of issues and questions, maybe this
>>> way you will find it easier to address all of them.
>>>
>>> 0. You are using libamr.  That's entirely your problem, but you are in
>>>   breach of copyright.
>>>
>>> 1. You are still not providing FFmpeg source code.  You need to provide
>>>   the exact source code you are using, including any modifications.
>>>   Pointing at our homepage or Subversion repo is *not* enough.
>>>
>>> 2. If you continue using FFmpeg in GPL mode, the license of your program
>>>   becomes the GPL.  You have to update your licenses accordingly.
>>>
>>> 3. The OS X installer is broken, at least on OS X 10.4.11, I have no way
>>>   to verify your claims that you fixed its other issues.
>>>
>>> 4. Have you read the LGPL?  The GPL?  The GPL FAQ?
>>
>> I haven't heard from you in over two weeks.  Are you going to address
>> the issues I pointed out above?
>
> Off course Diego - I'm working on all of them. Mac version is mostly done
> and I'm finishing windows one.
> I just didn't want to bother you with incomplete stuff.

Another two weeks have passed without news from you.  What's it going to
be?  Especially points 1 and 2 can be solved very quickly and are
essential to satisfy FFmpeg's licensing terms.

It's soon going to be 5 months since we pointed all of this out to you
and you still do not comply with our license.  If this does not get
resolved shortly we will have to find other ways of dealing with you.
So far my patience has gotten me nowhere.

Diego