[FFmpeg-devel] How to handle compiler warnings

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Feb 4 01:56:27 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 01:23:59AM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Monday, 04 February 2008 at 00:18, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> [...]
> > The sense behind warnings is to point to potential bugs or code with bad
> > style. If a type of warning would always point to correct and clean code, that
> > warning should be disabled not the code changed.
> > Thus the remaining warnings could point to bugs or correct code. First one has
> > to find out which of the 2 it is. If it is a bug, the bug should be fixed. If
> > it is correct code, it should be changed so it does not generate a warning
> > unless that causes a slowdown or obfuscates the code.
>
> Wow. Forgive the off-topic, but wow. Is this really something Michael wrote?
> Whatever it is you're doing, Michael, keep it up. ;)

I just triple checked it because i thought diego might want to copy and
paste it, or parts of it into the policy.

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber. -- Plato