[FFmpeg-devel] Bugs with European H264 TV Channel Handling with FFMPEG

Morfsta morfsta
Sat Feb 2 21:37:14 CET 2008

Hi,

I just received the e-mail below from Igor which followed an IRC chat
with the FFMPEG developers. It seems that the FFMPEG developers would
like a set of samples exhibiting problems with H264 decoding.

I have uploaded 5 samples to the MPlayer mailing list which exhibit
two distinct problems that I have found across European H264 satellite
channels.

The first affects multiple channels and bouqets and seems to be
related to "Spatial Direct Mode", i.e. channels that previously
reported "Spatial Direct Mode not implemented" with FFMPEG. That
message has now gone in the latest SVN, but the problems still exist.

The second is related to a set of channels in a Scanidanavian bouquet.
There is artifacting on the picture during movement and panning.
Reinhard Nissl reported on the VDR mailing list that this might be a
problem relating to the handling of the progressive frame flag and the
TVTIME deinterlacer in xine, but the problem is apparent in other
interlacers (Bob, Linear Blend et al).

I have uploaded the samples and text files to: -

ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/H264_Issues

I hope that you can work OK with VDR recordings. If you need any more
samples, longer samples (I stuck to the 10Mb limit, but this could be
too small for HD), or anything else, please don't hesitate to contact
me.

Finally, I would like to thank all of the FFMPEG developers for their
time. I know for a lot of you this is done in your own personal time
and it is very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Morfsta