[FFmpeg-devel] Searching for a ffmpeg BCLO (bastard chief legal officer)

Diego Biurrun diego
Sat Feb 2 16:56:47 CET 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:24:01PM -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Compn wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:01:52 +0100, Gabriel Bouvigne wrote:
> >
> >> Related:
> >>
> >> In the case of Lame, if a quick and diplomatic contact doesn't work,
> >> we noticed that a mention of the company and product name on our
> >> website's "Wall of Shame" is quite efficient.
> >> (It's so efficient that it's currently empty)
> >
> > mplayers' list of shame has companies on there for months (some even
> > years). this is not a deterrent or effective way to defeat them.
> > http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html
> >
> > but if you wish to try, ffmpeg homepage is in svn, just checkout a copy
> > and send a patch.
> > http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg.org/trunk/
>
> Here's a crazy idea: Do you think it would get their attention to post
> downloadable copies of their disassembled binaries in order to
> flagrantly violate their so-called EULAs (which explicitly prohibit
> disassembly)?
>
> Probably not a big deal. But I have the webspace for it. :)

I have had more or less the same idea.  It could be quite effective for
all those shareware infringers.  Buy a copy of their program, then put
it up for download along with the license key...

Diego