[FFmpeg-devel] Internal handling of subtitles in ffmpeg

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Dec 18 23:39:12 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:32:01PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:12:31PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > What you suggest is _exactly_ what i want and what the original author
> > suggested (if i understood it correctly) but with different terminology
> >
> > yours:
> > ASS -(decoder)-> bitmap
> > text_in_bitstream -(bitstream filter)-> ASS
> > ASS -(bitstream filter)-> text_in_bitstream
> >
> > mine:
> > ASS -(renderer)-> bitmap
> > text_in_bitstream -(decoder)-> ASS
> > ASS -(encoder)-> text_in_bitstream
>
> Well, possibly, but I think my terminology matches the existing code
> better,

the mplayer code yes, ffmpeg very certainly not.

> there is an actual bitstream filter to convert between mov and
> plain text text subtitles

>, and the subtitle "renderers" are called
> decoders right now.

huh?
which of our decoders converts text to bitmaps?
our decoders output the vector based graphics when such are stored in the
format.
For text based formats the logic extension is to export the text ...
this needs a char* to be added to AVSubtitleRect and filled by the decoder

The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the
dead. -- Aristotle